July 6 – October 6, 2013
Reception: August 2, 2013 | 5:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Sponsored by The Art League
Now in its 27th incarnation, the South Bend Museum of Art’s all media Biennial 27 presents a diverse look into contemporary artwork made by artists living in the Midwest. Open to artists residing in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin, this exhibition is an up-to-date dialogue of art happening in our own backyard. From hundreds of submitting artists, only eleven were selected by juror Lisa D. Freiman, Senior Curator and Chair of the Department of Contemporary Art at the Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis, IN. The pool of exhibiting artists is deliberately limited to allow for the showing of a greater body of work by each artist.
The following artists were selected by Freiman from a pool of 230 submitting artists:
- Leticia Bajuyo (sculpture and installation) of Madison, Indiana
- Terrence Campagna (photography) of Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Derek Coté (sculpture and installation) of Grosse Pointe, Michigan
- Meredith Foster (drawing and photography) of Urbana, Illinois
- Margaret Leininger (fiber) of Oak Park, Illinois
- Kylie Lockwood (sculpture) of Detroit, Michigan
- Cherith Lundin (drawing and sculpture) of Wheaton, Illinois
- David Masters (painting) of Cleveland, Ohio
- Todd Reed (painting) of Bolingbrook, Illinois
- Amanda Smith (painting) of Bloomington, Indiana
- Maxwell Stolkin (sculpture and installation) of Mooresville, Indiana
The museum uses this pool of artists to acquire new works into its permanent collection with $1,500 in purchase awards. Other artists will receive a $1,500 in merit awards sponsored by the museum’s Art League.